I’ve a block of 4 switches in my house. One switch doesn’t work. Like it doesn’t do anything near as I can tell. How to make this a 3 gang? There a thing as a 4 plate cover with a blank? May look silly to me.

Ok so my guess is the one switch went to an outlet in the middle of the icing room floor but I never checked it and I’ve removed the outlet a few years ago.

  • Is the non-functional switch at one end of the bank of switches, or somewhere in the middle? Is it a single pole switch (with ON and OFF marked on the switch handle), or a 3 or 4 way switch (no markings on the toggle)? – ThreePhaseEel Aug 11 at 15:05
  • With that outlet removed, is every point along the wall still within 6' of a receptacle? If not, it must go back in... – Harper Aug 11 at 18:12
  • 1
    The outlet is in the middle of the floor. Like. middle of the floor. And as the house was built in the 1920's I hear what you are saying about code saying outlets need to be every 6' but I kinda doubt it makes a difference at this point. Not to mention all the additional outlets I had installed when I moved in as there was barely one outlet per room. – Jonathan M Barney Aug 12 at 18:47
  • Can you provide a picture of the inside of the box so that we can see the switches and wiring? – Greg Nickoloff Aug 12 at 19:07

Unless you are planning to do some patching and painting I am afraid you are stuck with a 4G box. If you want to remove the switch because its just irritating you can use a switch blank shown below: enter image description here

These can be found in most big box hardware stores and online. They come in different colors and can be found in decora style also.

Good luck.

  • This indeed! I ended up getting the gfci blank. I couldn't find a 3 gfci and 1 blank 4 gang terminal anywhere online for under 20$ in the correct color. Thanks! – Jonathan M Barney Aug 12 at 18:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.