I believe this is called a turn tap. I need to replace the washer due to it dripping, however I've not had much luck removing the head. My thought was that the blue plastic piece would pop off to reveal a screw, but I've not been able to prise it off, and there's not even enough clearance to get a screwdriver under it. How do I remove this type of tap head to replace the washer?

enter image description here

  • 1
    Hello, and welcome to Home Improvement. If there isn't a hex hole at the back of the lever, then that blue cap must be covering the fastener. Commented Aug 11, 2019 at 12:01
  • Is there any non-destructive method to remove it? I guess I'm just going to have to break the plastic if it won't pop out and then try to source another cap from somewhere. Commented Aug 11, 2019 at 12:23
  • 1
    use a small mirror to examine all sides of the handle
    – jsotola
    Commented Aug 11, 2019 at 17:49

2 Answers 2


enter image description here

My first guess is that there is a set screw under that blue cover. If not look carefully under the handle as indicated or on the back of the handle.


I got mine out with a strong kitchen knife screw was under the blue plastic

  • Welcome to Home Improvement. Please take a moment to take the tour, you'll get a good feel for how this place is a bit different than most general discussion forums. (You'll also get a free badge! redeemable for absolutely nothing, but it'll make you smile and feel better!) You'll also see that one-liner answers are generally discouraged. There's nothing inherently wrong with your answer, but we do generally look for a bit more "meat" in an answer.
    – FreeMan
    Commented Mar 17, 2021 at 13:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.