My gutter is leaking at the corner. After some youtubing, it seems like I'd want to just re-seal the miter (essentially just caulk). However, mine seems to have a rubber-like substance along the whole bottom of the inside of the gutter (the red arrow in the picture points to the edge of the peeling material). I didn't see this in any of the gutter installation videos I watched - what is it called? Can I just pull this up (it's really stuck on there) so I can re-caulk the seam? enter image description here


It looks like somebody already tried to seal it in the past. You can pull, scrape the stuff off and re-caulk the seam. Just be careful not to dig a hole in the cutter, they are pretty soft.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    agree, also you will need to spend some time removing all the suspect sealant and make sure the surface is clean and dry, or the new caulk will not bond and seal properly... – Jimmy Fix-it Aug 10 '19 at 18:01
  • Good point Jimmy. – JACK Aug 10 '19 at 18:03
  • Sounds like a plan - now I just have to wait for the water to dry up so I can try it :) diy.stackexchange.com/questions/170947/… – David Doria Aug 10 '19 at 18:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.