We have this in the washer dryer area of our Mother-In-Law. When we moved in no washer dryer was present. I sort of suspect it's some sort of drain hookup because there is no drain. Does anyone know?

what is this? It's 2 inches off the ground.

Can't make out text clearly heads on

Drain on water hookup is sealed. water hookup - drain port is sealed

  • 1
    Can you give us a head-on photo of it? – ThreePhaseEel Aug 4 at 20:20
  • @threephaseeel Added – Macky Aug 4 at 20:36
  • The drain could still be in there though. – JACK Aug 4 at 20:44
  • There should be a drain under the cover between the hot and cold water hookups. The square thing is the end of a clean-out cap for the drain (I'm guessing it's below the other stuff). – brhans Aug 4 at 21:23
  • A stand pipe may have been planned here. Turn the threaded cap out. Fit a male adaptor in and elbow upward add pipe to proper height then slip washer drain hose into it. – Kris Aug 4 at 21:51

It looks like a drain clean out port.

Do you have a hookup to water for a washer? How about a vent for the dryer? The cap looks like it's been pushed in after the painting took place. Did you try to remove it? It could be a cleanout cover plugging a dryer vent...


Is this object on the ceiling or wall? If it was on the ceiling, I’d figure it is a smoke detector. However, I’m guessing that it is on the wall, thus I think that it might be an old drain or pipe of some sort. There might be a professional that could tell you more.


That is a threaded pipe cap. Most likely it could be used as a drain for the washer.

Unscrew the cap using a large pipe wrench. Install a male adaptor into the threaded opening then plumb a proper stand pipe drain with a p trap.

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.