I am trying to embed a load-bearing anchor in a 1-inch foam sheet. The most natural solution would be some kind of threaded plastic pair that fits together, with one end being able to have a rope attached. Something like this:


I don't know what terms to search for, however. I've found promising items searching for "plastic flanges" or "bulkhead fittings" but they either have much too small a flange (e.g. half inch wider than threads), or are only available in bulk. Threads are not required (I'm willing to use pvc cement) but ideally, it'd also be UV-resistant, as this is intended for outdoor use. Is there a more accurate name I could be searching for instead?

In case it's relevant, my specific plan is to add an additional three attachment points to a foam raft such as the following:


  • perhaps some kind of a gromet would work – jsotola Aug 3 '19 at 1:50
  • That’s what I was thinking. Most likely stainless steel grommet – UnhandledExcepSean Aug 3 '19 at 1:59
  • My kids have a party island that has 3 large grommets for towing, this thing is huge but you may be able to find them as a replacement part I don’t know the brand but they got it at Costco and it is like 12’ x 18’ , they may have been for anchorage but we use them to take it to the middle of the lake (no kids riding ). – Ed Beal Aug 3 '19 at 15:16
  • @EdBeal that's actually exactly what I'm trying to add these to. Ours only has one mount. They're not cheap either, around $200. – MooseBoys Aug 3 '19 at 20:11
  • Yes I asked the kids because there was a book of replacement parts and patches that came with it but they can’t find it but possibly they have it on line. – Ed Beal Aug 3 '19 at 23:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.