I am in the process of restoring old windows. These are original to the house and hence from 1940. Windows have these plastic or metal ventilation plugs, here are two pictures: enter image description here

enter image description here

The problem is some of the windows miss these parts, and I would like to replace some of the older ones. I, however, have no idea what these parts are called. I tried to google some random terms (such as vent plugs for wood windows) but did not find anything.

So, what is the official name of this part? and it is possible to buy a replacement?

  • Are you sure they're vent plugs and not pivot points to allow the window to tilt?
    – Duston
    Commented Aug 1, 2019 at 13:55
  • I take it that your windows are single pane, fixed in place (glazed in frame) with no movable sash?
    – Jack
    Commented Aug 1, 2019 at 13:57
  • They look like screen mounts or sash support sockets to me. Wooden windows usually aren't ventilated like that.
    – isherwood
    Commented Aug 1, 2019 at 14:05
  • @Duston Yes, these are ventilation plugs, there are holes going outside. These windows have a second insert, which is usually is installed for the winter time (like small inside storm windows) and these plugs are open for the winter to reduce the condensation.
    – Artem
    Commented Aug 1, 2019 at 14:20
  • @Jack Yes, but please see my comment above.
    – Artem
    Commented Aug 1, 2019 at 14:20

1 Answer 1


This item is called "Wood Casement Air Ventilator" and is available through the Andersen web page, here is a link. I did not find any metal replacements, only plastic, but these are exactly the same size.



Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.