I have two powered monitor speakers on my desk. Each speaker has a power rocker switch on the back and it's a nuisance I would like to circumvent. I would like to add an extended power switch to a 3-plug power strip that I can be secured to an accessible area of my desk. I don't want to worry about it causing an electrical fire when I'm away from my desk.

I'm thinking I could install an shallow electrical box with a light switch to control the power. How dangerous is something like this? Is there a better way of doing it? I have plenty of experience doing electrical work.

2 Answers 2


Those power strips are available with switches built in, in fact I have several...


Does the power strip have a knockout on it? Just run 1/2" EMT conduit from the power strip to the switch, which you put in a short handy-box.

If the power strip doesn't have a knockout or if it's plastic, then junk the power strip and stick a 4" square steel box there. EMT to the switch, 2 receptacles on the cover (4 sockets) and a hefty power cord with a proper strain relief (which are readily available at any local electrical supply). Get a proper cord by going SNIP to a 14AWG extension cord, or just buy cord-with-plug from McMaster-Carr. Then go to a real electrical supply house for a proper strain relief for a knockout.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.