Is there a code for the minimum width of a closet door? I've always assumed it was 24 inches. Or is it determined by the square footage of the closet?
The Code only stipulates the size of one door in a residence. It requires one egress door that...
- has a 32” clear opening with the door in the 90 degree position (which requires a 36” wide door)
- is located at a exterior entrance into the residence opening into a public way or open side yard that opens to a public way
- does not open into a garage or carport
- is a minimum of 78” high measured from top of threshold to bottom of stop
- is side-hinged (no sliding doors allowed)
See 2017 ICC R311.1 and R311.2.
The only other requirement is for sleeping room egress windows, but that’s not your question.