I saw a highly curved parabolic mirror that I had never seen before in a hotel I visited recently.

It was on an arm in the bathroom and unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture at the time.

It looked very similar to this and gave very high magnification: Parabolic Mirror

The curve of the mirror was very prominent, so much so that it almost looked like the capital "U" character here, but not quite parallel of course.

What are these class of mirrors called? I would imagine that they have a different name because I can't find them anywhere.

  • Perhaps “custom”? – statueuphemism Jul 27 '19 at 17:05
  • @statueuphemism Possibly, but this might not be true. Perhaps I'll give them a call. – Sarah Szabo Jul 27 '19 at 17:13
  • search - Makeup mirror – Alaska Man Jul 27 '19 at 19:03
  • which hotel did you visit? .... there may be pictures online – jsotola Jul 27 '19 at 19:48

If your objective is not limited to locating a vanity mirror of this sort (I failed to do so), you may discover that your objective can be gained by searching for parabolic trough reflector or parabolic trough mirror. The returns I found from those terms cover mostly solar collectors designed to focus light on thermally related energy systems. Some of the links also point to engineering documents regarding design and construction.

An advantage of such a design in thermal energy collection is that it can be aligned in one direction and rotated on the long axis to provide near-continuous exposure to the sun.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.