Yesterday I pulled a new wire to an existing breaker in our electric panel. Obvious first step was to turn off the main breaker, which I verified with a non-contact voltage tester (confirmed working before turning off the main breaker, and again after turning the power back on).

While trying to remove the old earth wire from the main panel, my elbow touched a wall and I got shocked.

How is this possible? House was built in 1991, and the main panel is a Nova Line built by Westinghouse. Main breaker is shielded off in its own part, no live wires exposed.

  • 1
    Perhaps you simply banged your funny-bone? :-) – Ray Butterworth Jul 27 '19 at 13:42
  • Lol, I wish... It was just a moderate shock, but yeah. – Chris Jul 27 '19 at 14:17
  • Anything in your house that could generate or store power? Solar array, generator, hydro dam, RTG? – Jeffrey Jul 27 '19 at 14:51
  • Do you have a clamp-on ammeter, or can you get your hands on one? – ThreePhaseEel Jul 27 '19 at 14:53
  • A picture of the open panel would help. – Kris Jul 27 '19 at 14:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.