1

I have found those pipes in my basement. I hope its fiberglass, but not sure if its asbestos, because it got placed in the 60's or 70's (in my country the use of asbestos got banned in 2005). These pipes are used for the heating of the house, so they require thermal insulation to be efficient. I know its impossible to determine by a picture, but I hope somebody with a little more knowledge can say what could I do. enter image description here enter image description here

2
  • Where are you located?
    – user68386
    Commented Jul 26, 2019 at 22:16
  • Hungary, Budapest city
    – Gabor
    Commented Jul 26, 2019 at 22:38

1 Answer 1

1

Quick test: go outside with a mask and safety glasses, hold at arms length, fiberglass will melt and form tiny beads in a propane torch flame (or perhaps one from a butane lighter), asbestos will glow yellow or white hot without noticeable melting.

Pull a few strands out (while wearing a particle mask) and test them. Normally, I would not advise you going into a site with possible asbestos and disturbing it, but you already have entered it, and live there.

2
  • I burned it with a butane lighter, and it melted. I also have a few sheets of glasswool around, burned them too, and I have to say they act the same way.
    – Gabor
    Commented Jul 27, 2019 at 20:36
  • Phew! Looks like there's no need to worry. Particles of asbestos could have infiltrated the whole house, so you "dodged that bullet". Commented Jul 28, 2019 at 4:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.