I was looking to buy this house and then realize this room is strange. It used to be a garage but got converted to living space (with permit):

enter image description here

It was a single lumber running across so I am not sure why it needs the support in the middle. I guess the span is too wide for that lumber.

Anyways, the support post looks weird:

enter image description here

Is this piece of metal a "Structural" component or just some "hack" from previous owner?

What do I do in order to remove this post? Larger beam?

  • 1
    It is a screw jack. – chili555 Jul 23 '19 at 23:15
  • Loan is money I assume. Anyways, is screw jack a permanent support or temporary? – HP. Jul 24 '19 at 1:08
  • 4
    Looks like the remodel was interrupted. Additional walls were probably planned which would carry the load temporarily being supported by the triple 2x6 and screw jack – Kris Jul 24 '19 at 1:44
  • 2
    Also be concerned with the moldy sheetrock in lower portion of exterior walls water is infiltrating them somehow. – Kris Jul 24 '19 at 2:42
  • I have no idea..lol It was the iPhone autocorrect thing. – HP. Jul 24 '19 at 5:27

I would hire a structural engineer to give me a report on the existing conditions and include any needed support for that beam. Tell him your ideas and intentions so he can advise you what is needed or required.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.