I am trying to build something like this enter image description here

and I do not know what is the generic name for this type of slab. What is it called? I want to use it in the above mentioned design

enter image description here

| improve this question | | | | |
  • 1
    The top is some kind of plastic formed edging. The bottom is just some plank-style pavers or possibly even exterior tiles on a bed of gravel. – JPhi1618 Jul 16 '19 at 14:14
  • 1
    I doubt that the lower photo shows masonry or ceramic. It wouldn't withstand the load, being that thin. Must be plastic or fiber composite. – isherwood Jul 16 '19 at 14:28
  • 1
    I agree with Isherwood that is just a decorative layout definitely not a slab. – Ed Beal Jul 16 '19 at 14:30

Typically the long, relatively thin stones (or cast imitation stones) are seen as the tops of walls (though in your first picture the walls may be unseen - in a freezing climate without walls under them the stones will shift every winter) and are called coping stones.

It is possible that in your second picture there is enough porus rock under them to serve as a "railbed" style foundation (there's another term for that which escapes me at the moment - rubble trench?) where well-drained coarse rocks prevent water from building up and freezing to the point of moving the stones on top. I also assume that the visible part of the stones is half or less of the stones overall thickness. Typical coping stones are 2-3 inches (50-75mm) in thickness.

It's also possible that both pictures are from non-freezing climates - perhaps you are as well. In freezing climates, one has to take steps to prevent annual movement from frost.

| improve this answer | | | | |
  • "steps to prevent annual movement from frost" You mean "steps to minimize annual movement from frost", don't you? You can't really prevent it... – FreeMan Jul 16 '19 at 20:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.