Underneath my kitchen sink you can see the following:


As you can see, the spout (is this the correct term?) has kitchen roll stuck in it.

Isn't this suppose to be sealed with a cap? Doesn't it run the risk of leaking (granted it hasn't just yet). If it does need a cap what should I be getting for it?



Further pictures for clarity.

enter image description here enter image description here

  • 1
    It looks like there was once (perhaps) a dishwasher installed, improperly... and possibly still improperly. It has a chance to leak if the pipe backs up, before it backs up into the sink basin it will go onto the floor. It looks like there is a connection on the back as well.... is that a dishwasher? cant tell what is also up top, larger hose, a washer? More photos will help, and a description of everything draining here too. – noybman Jul 14 '19 at 16:50
  • Hi @noybman. I pulled the dishwasher out last week as we weren't using it and it wasn't in the best condition. It actually attached to a similar nozzle that was on the pipe on the left. The only thing that drains into the pipes now are the washing machine and the sink. I'll take a couple more photos and edit my question. – Katana24 Jul 14 '19 at 17:03
  • what is the point of posting more photos? ... clearly, if you get a clog in the trap below, or further downstream, the sink or dishwasher will drain onto the floor .... take the picture to a hardware store and show it to the sales staff and ask for a cap – jsotola Jul 14 '19 at 17:04
  • @jsotola the point is to verify if it requires a cap and, if it does, what to get. Forgive me if my plumbing experience isn't as developed as yours. – Katana24 Jul 14 '19 at 17:11
  • i do not have much plumbing experience, however i know how water behaves ... i am certain that you also know how water behaves ... so the answer to the question whether you need a cap is obvious ... that is why i said to take the picture to a hardware store for assistance – jsotola Jul 14 '19 at 23:27

That is one option. A better option may be to replace the double-wye with a single wye and eliminate unnecessary potential future leak sources. The wye on the left is no longer needed. The fewer the joints, the fewer potential failure points.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.