I am trying to learn what this small blue cupboard on the left side of the table is called? It's a corner cupboard but I am not sure what the technical term is: enter image description here

  • 5
    "corner hutch"?
    – DA01
    Sep 5, 2012 at 20:30
  • A corner cabinet? Sep 6, 2012 at 12:18

1 Answer 1


I am not certain what you mean by a "technical term" for it. I would call it a corner hutch or a corner display hutch or maybe a corner bookcase.

Why corner? Because it is shaped to fit in a corner.

Why hutch? A hutch is sometimes something that sits on top of a bureau, table, desk, or other piece of flat-topped furniture. However, hutches can also be a free-standing shelved storage units with doors. The impression people have of "hutch" will vary by region.

Why bookcase? It's got books on it.

I can tell you also that I would not call it

  • a cabinet: Cabinets usually have doors and are wall-hung or sit on the floor.
  • a cupboard: Cupboards are usually wall-hung and contain dishwares or foodstuffs
  • a curio cabinet: these usually have mirrored backs and glass doors
  • a display case: see curio cabinet. These usually have at least glass doors.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.