My great grand dad born 1874 taught my dad that a mixture of raw linseed oil & paint thinner mixed 50% of each. Heat outdoors to when it starts to smoke & doesn't singe a paint brush. Immediately take it to unpainted outdoor wood and apply it under the sun on a hot day. Take the item inside if possible if it rains, don't let the dew get to it. Once the first coat is absorbed, do it 2 to 3 times letting the mixture absorb, wipe off any excess and apply again; after it seems the wood won't absorb more, reapplication after a few yrs. when you think it needs it. Is this mixture flammable, yes; that's why you need to let the hot sun evaporate the paint thinner. Does anyone else think this is safe?