I am running Legrand/Wiremold 4000 series for a garage shop. The instructions for the panel connector (4086A) consist of a tiny picture that implies all I need to do is cut a large square hole in my breaker box and bolt in the adapter. Is this allowed? I can not find a second source to confirm this and I am hesitant to carve up the box.

  • I take it the breaker box in question is an indoor (NEMA 1) box that is surface mounted, right? – ThreePhaseEel Jul 10 '19 at 3:41
  • Also, are you trying to come into the box from the top/bottom, or from one side? – ThreePhaseEel Jul 10 '19 at 3:49
  • Honestly, I would cap the surface raceway system wherever convenient (e.g. with a 4010B or 4010DFO which provides a sizable junction box) and come the rest of the way with EMT through a standard knockout. Problem solved, you just have to switch crafts for a few feet. It also doesn't leave a gaping hole in your panel if you ever go with a different system. – Harper - Reinstate Monica Jul 10 '19 at 5:59
  • Yes, it is an indoor, surface mount box. It is bottom fed, so I was planning to come in from the side. I considered using conduit but when I found the panel connector I thought it would make for a more elegant installation. I assumed there would be more documentation. – James Saxon Jul 10 '19 at 6:19
  • How many wires are you trying to pull through this wireway, and what size are they? – ThreePhaseEel Jul 11 '19 at 0:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.