We've recently noticed a leak under our sink - it's possibly always been there and it's just not been severe enough that we've noticed it. The system was fitted by the previous owners of the house and we moved in about 4-5 months ago

enter image description here enter image description here

From what I can see then black flexi pipe is venting from the main waste pipe after the bend. This pipe appears to have no valve fitted and is currently brimming with water.

Has anyone ever seen a similar system? Any advice on what needs to happen next to get this fixed? Just looking for a bit of information so that I know if I'm being fleeced by my local plumber if/when I call them out.

Thanks guys!

  • Hello, and welcome to Home Improvement. It's going to be tough for us to figure out that tangle without more pictures or, even better, a diagram. And, you should probably take our tour so you'll know how best to participate here. – Daniel Griscom Jul 9 '19 at 10:54
  • 1
    Where is the out-going drain pipe? Behind the water heater or up on the right side of the picture? And where, exactly, is it leaking? – Greg Nickoloff Jul 10 '19 at 17:48

That black flex pipe is just there as an emergency drain in case the heater over heats and has to vent pressure, just like what is on larger hot water heaters. If it is tapped into your drain/waste line too close to the trap bend, the trap water might be leaking back into it, but that really shouldn't matter if all of the connections are good. Most likely you just have a bad connection (can't see the leak in your photos).

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.