I bought a house that has a second bathroom in the basement. I would like to replace this toilet.

It appears to have a single water inlet and two over flow tubes. The refill hose tees into the regular overflow tube and into a second overflow tube. The second tube has a line out of the toilet tank and into the wall.

The tank model is a Proflo 3112 - E. I have not found any information online that refers to this setup.

What kind of toilet is this and where does the second overflow tube go?

enter image description here

  • Looks like whatever it is was retrofitted to one of the tank bolt holes. This is interesting. Any chance of a photo under the tank on that right side? – JPhi1618 Jul 9 '19 at 6:01
  • The view doesn't reveal much - the line exits the tank and into the wall. Nothing more. – diyse Jul 9 '19 at 6:27
  • So on the right side there is a line that exits the tank and goes into the wall? I know the water supply line on the left probably does that. On the right, under the tank, you should see where the metal tube that your tee-d filling line goes into exits the tank. – JPhi1618 Jul 9 '19 at 6:30
  • yes, the second overflow line exits the tank and goes into the wall. It's a braided line, looks similar to a supply line, but no valve. – diyse Jul 9 '19 at 6:31
  • Where are you located in the world? I've never seen that - I hope someone else can share some knowledge. – JPhi1618 Jul 9 '19 at 6:33

It's a line to fill other traps that may run dry when not used. Every time you flush some water is diverted to top up the traps and prevent a sudden stink of sewage.

These traps that need topping up would be for example the floordrain in the basement or the drain for a water heater safety valve.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.