Can I have an exterior 200A meter and disconnect with the 200A main panel in the interior some 20-30 ft. away? It has to meet California residential code.

I'm trying to avoid the cost of an exterior main panel in addition to a 200A interior sub-panel.

If so, what products should I look for for the exterior? I was thinking "meter socket with disconnect" but I can only find exterior panels.

Here is an elevation plan: enter image description here

I currently have a 100A exterior panel at the meter which I need to upgrade to 200A but my contractor recommends having a panel in the interior hallway for convenience.

I can't add the panel close to the meter in the interior because of house configuration. It will have to be 20-30ft away.


  • A NEMA 3R panel outside with a breaker would work there are a bunch of them I recommend one with extra positions so later if another sub to an out building is desirable it would be easy to add.
    – Ed Beal
    Jun 26, 2019 at 16:12
  • Hello, and welcome to Home Improvement. Good question: keep 'em coming. And, you should probably take our tour so you'll know how best to participate here. Jun 26, 2019 at 16:55
  • I've got this setup on my house, the meter base it separate from the main breaker, they are just next to each other, and then there is a feeder from the disconnect/breaker to the actual panel inside (80+ feet away). What you're looking for seems to be called "Outdoor Circuit Breaker Enclosure". Jun 26, 2019 at 17:22

1 Answer 1


I believe the Google words you are looking for are meter main or meter main combination.

As long as the wiring in your house is downstream of a main breaker (not merely disconnect), that is fine. Remember since all the power from your service runs through it, you get to apply the 310.15(B)(7) derate of 83%; your wire only needs to be rated for 166A, not 200A.

This Article 310.15(B)(7) derate calculation replaces a table called 310.15(B)(7), and you will see that table all over the Web. The table is completely useless, and should be disregarded.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.