I need to replace this fan motor, I believe it's Broan, but could also be NuTone. I have tried looking up the number stamped on the side, but nothing comes up for either of those manufacturers. Does anyone recognize this or have any luck finding an actual replacement?

Thank you for your help.

Bathroom fan motorBathroom fan and housing

  • Any labels or stickers on the parts you removed? Jun 25, 2019 at 17:55
  • Those are really easy to replace. Unplug it, and pop out the motor-fan-faceplate assembly (there are some metal tabs). A new unit can be purchased for $15 (in the USA). The motor-fan-faceplate should be compatible. You can just pop it in and plug it back in. Jun 25, 2019 at 19:23
  • Can you show pic of finish cover ? And some even have it on cover. It does look like Broan so far.
    – user101687
    Jun 25, 2019 at 19:35
  • These motors are pretty standard. The basic Broan motor will most likely work regardless of what exact brand and model this is.
    – JPhi1618
    Jun 25, 2019 at 19:36
  • @RobertMoody I looked on the cover and didn't see anything.
    – brehma
    Jun 25, 2019 at 20:22

1 Answer 1


For the most part there are only a few manufacturers of those fan motors, regardless of what brand the fan is. Most of them are interchangeable, but the critical dimension that you often must deal with is the length of the shaft that the fan itself is attached to (and how it attaches). You will need to remove it to determine what you need.

What I have found on the last 3 of these is that the replacement motor costs as much as the entire fan, but the entire fan unit was not going to match the sheet metal work, so swapping it out was more than I wanted to do. So I cleaned the motors and fans really well, put them back in and they worked fine. So far, 3 more years of life on the oldest one. It's worth a try.

  • Unless the windings are damaged, cleaning an lubrication should work. Jun 25, 2019 at 23:54
  • Have you found any particular brand/types of cleaners and lubricants works better than others?
    – brehma
    Jun 27, 2019 at 21:36
  • 1
    You want specific electrical cleaners, they are tested not to damage insulation materials. CRC is a common brand name I use, there are others. Just make sure it says it is electrical cleaner or contact cleaner (as in electrical contacts). Some of them state that they can be used on energized equipment, but DO NOT dot that.
    – JRaef
    Jun 27, 2019 at 23:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.