The two copper wires inside our furnace, that are supposed to ignite the gas, get too dirty to do the job about twice a year... We then have to go there -- always at inopportune times -- remove two screws, pull the thing out and apply sandpaper.
Can anything be done to solve this problem once and for good (or, at least, for some years)?
Should I, for example, try to gold-plate the copper after cleaning it again with something like this? Or will the deposits simply settle on the gold just as they currently settle on the copper?
The device is a Peerless PureFire, about 9 years old. This is a "high efficiency" unit -- there is no "pilot light". Instead, the fuel (natural gas) is ignited by electrical spark.