I ran 3 #6 B/R/W and 1 #8 Grn from my main panel through 1" sch 40 PVC to my garage and will be installing a 100A sub panel with separate ground and neutral blocks. I understand that since it is a separate building I need a grounding rod. I would like to know if I could run a # 8 bare copper wire to one of the two grounding rods of the main panel. The rod is about 7 feet from the wall I will be attaching my new sub panel to. This garage is 100 years old and solid brick only the roof is wood if that makes any difference. And should I install a 60amp GFCI breaker in the main panel for the main shutoff?

  • Can you explain more about how this building is "detached" and yet so close? Is there any connecting structure of any kind? Jun 20, 2019 at 17:56
  • This "garage" was originally a carriage house which are usually only a short distance away from the main house. ours is separated only by a 6 foot wide breezeway
    – Will
    Jun 20, 2019 at 20:40
  • What make and model is your main panel? Some 60A GFCI breakers can't feed split phase loads due to the fact they lack a load neutral lug... Jun 20, 2019 at 22:41
  • When I google "breezeway" I see this. To confirm, you are saying there is a "roof-like structure" between the buildings? Jun 21, 2019 at 2:04

1 Answer 1


It's not a separate building

Having a breezeway between the buildings means it is one building in the eyes of NEC. You not only can use the same ground rods, you can simply use the ground wires you already ran.

Further, you do not require a shutoff switch (typically implemented as a main breaker) in the garage's panel. Although if you're committed to it, it does no harm.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.