What is this? The metal strip is 7 inches long. There is a small hook in the end. The other end is just a plastic handle.

enter image description here


2 Answers 2


Looks like a "puller", for pulling string or cord or wire through things.

That one could be for mattresses or cushions for the "buttons" or similar.

  • I assumed that it is a puller but what does it pull? The mattress idea is interesting. I will look at that. Buttons? like sewing buttons on shirts and jackets? Then I'm not sure why it would be 7 inches long. Just saying... Jun 20, 2019 at 14:35
  • @LarryGeiger lots of chairs sofas etc have "buttons" on them - leather chairs can have them to give that "dimpled" effect. So, if you think about the thickness of some of the cushioning etc...
    – Solar Mike
    Jun 20, 2019 at 14:36
  • 1
    I think it is primarily for leather. Mostly from a time when horses were used and owners would repair or make their own harnesses/tack. Jun 20, 2019 at 16:38

It could be a slim jim auto tool. A slim jim is used to open certain kinds of car doors by slipping between the glass and the frame of the door and grabbing the latch bar.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.