I just realized that my hot water 1/2" copper inlet in the kitchen is terminated with a regular single oulet valve but I do need to share it between the faucet and the adjacent dishwasher. Is there a way to do it without uninstalling the regular fitting with some sort of splitter that mounts on it or do I need to just remove it and install a double outlet fitting?

  • How old/good is your old shutoff? This might be a good time to install a nice new quarter turn. Jun 15, 2019 at 13:30
  • it is brand new
    – amphibient
    Jun 15, 2019 at 17:39

2 Answers 2


There are adapters you can screw on that give an additional tap for the dishwasher. The size needed for the dishwasher connection is fairly standard (3/8 compression thread) as it is common to run 3/8" o.d. copper tubing or a braided stainless flex connector with that same thread.

What is NOT standard is the existing valve's outlet size (it can be any one of, like 4 different sizes). You will need to either have someone with experienced eyes take a look at your existing valve, or remove the existing supply line and take it to the plumbing shop with you.

enter image description here

  • What is this adapter called?
    – amphibient
    Jun 15, 2019 at 19:43

Here is an example of a double outlet valve that you can buy at Home DEpot, Lowes, OR most any stores that sell -plumbing supplies. The inlet end comes in a variety of sizes and configurations. Just go to the store a explain what it is that you are trying to do. I looked this up on the Home Depot website (BrassCraft 1/2 in. Nom Sweat Inlet x 3/8 in. O.D. Comp x 3/8 in. O.D. Comp Dual Outlet Multi-Turn Valve). I also found this valve on Amazon---Eastman dual/outlet dual handle stop valve.---"hope this helps"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.