I'd like to install a wall exhaust fan, similar to this one. I want to wire it so I can plug it into an outlet as I dont want to tear through drywall. Which type of plug/wires would I need? The fan is 120 volts 72 watts 1.8 ampsenter image description here

  • Some of these fans have a motor that plugs into an internal socket so it can be easily moved for installation and cleaning. You might just need to run an extension cord to the motor. Like this – JPhi1618 Jun 7 '19 at 20:03
  • If the fan is built into the wall I believe it would be a code violation to use cordage to plug it in, if it comes with a cord is one thing but they usually have a small junction box built in to accept a 1/2” conduit or cable clamp, in that case it would be a violation, running power from the outlet to the fan could be done but then you would need a switch or smart switch to control the power. – Ed Beal Jun 7 '19 at 20:30
  • What type of wire do you need for what? To be legal? To avoid combustion of your residence? To look nice? – isherwood Jun 7 '19 at 20:37
  • Wouldn't you have to do drywall work to install the fan anyway? – ThreePhaseEel Jun 7 '19 at 22:57

They make a fan that you hard wire and can control the speed you want. Or drill hole add simple toggle switch .

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.