what type of texture is this?

I would like to know the texture in my drywall ceiling to repair and match the existing texture

  • Looks like a paint roller was used..
    – user101687
    Jun 3, 2019 at 14:13
  • It looks like a fine to med nap was used.Trick is to find the one.
    – user101687
    Jun 3, 2019 at 14:21

1 Answer 1


I think that's a crows foot pattern made with a texture brush that is stomped/slapped versus the drywall. I think this brush is overkill for a patch job, but the texture it creates seems to match pretty closely with your picture. https://www.all-wall.com/Categories/Drywall-Texture-Brushes/Crowsfoot-Drywall-Texture-Brush.html

You may be able to purchase the brush at lowes/home depot but I've found that drywall texture tools availability is hit or miss depending on the location.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with using stomp brushes, but I think there's a couple of videos on youtube that do a pretty good job explaining.

I would recommend mixing up the mud and practicing on a piece of cardboard/scrap drywall until you can consistently get a similar pattern.

I just did a lot of ceiling patching, and I ended up having to add a good deal more water to the mud than expected to get the pattern to match (or as close as I could come).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.