In front of my old 1950s house, I have the main water pipe coming up from the ground, going through a pressure reducer, shutoff valve, and hose spigot before two right angles then going into the house. It's all very old, and the shutoff valve doesn't completely shutoff the water. All of the fittings are 3/4 inch threaded, with nipples or pipe joining them; the pressure reducer has a union.

I want to replace the shutoff with a good ball valve, and replace the very old pressure reducer while I'm at it. It seems like I should be able to unscrew the union, then unscrew all the fittings, and replace them without soldering anything - assuming I can match the total length, which shouldn't be hard.

I'm a little confused about one thing - I saw one pressure reducer that had 2 unions, one on each end with threaded fip on each end. I'm not sure why you would need 2 unions except perhaps just to make it easier. So, I wanted to check my assumptions to see if my plan makes sense. I have the main parts already, including a single union pressure regulator like the one I'm replacing.

Any tips or suggestions are welcome. I do plan to rearrange the order of fittings, putting the shutoff first, then the hose spigot, then the pressure reducer so the hose will have full pressure (assuming the pressure isn't too high). Perhaps I'll add a second spigot that is pressure regulated for normal use.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.