Does this toilet flange need to be replaced? There is a weird gap within the pipe and I can't tell if its because the flange needs replacement or normal.

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • 2
    What do you mean by "weird gap"? I don't see anything strange about that flange, except that it's below the surrounding floor – Machavity May 31 '19 at 12:30
  • Maybe its hard to tell from the picture, but looking inside the flange/pipe, there is a ridge of some kind a couple inches down. I can't tell if the inside portion is the pvc pipe and the outside is the flange that's attached to the outside of it or if its something else. – Andy S. May 31 '19 at 12:41
  • A couple inches? So you're not just referring to the top of the pipe? Please post a properly focused photo. – isherwood May 31 '19 at 13:02
  • 1
    Is it me or does it appear that the flange is mounted 90 degrees sideways, the slotted flange bolts opening are in the front and back instead of the sides. ( based on the caulking pattern. ) – Alaska Man May 31 '19 at 17:04

It looks like you have a standard toilet flange, but it's attached to a 3" pipe instead of a 4" (that's what the 4x3 on top means). It could also be a "push fit" flange that you push into the drain pipe to replace an older flange. I admit this looks weird, because I would expect the inside lip to be sloped downward so sewage can't sit on top.

The flange itself is low, but appears to be in good shape. I wouldn't replace it just because of the lip. It looks like that's standard to all the Charlotte 4x3 flanges I've seen.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.