0

I'm getting a shock when I touch walls, electrical equipment like a water cooler, fridge, etc in my home. I have followed this procedure as I only have a DMM with me.

The readings I got after checking with DMM are: L-N: 249.2 V L-E: 255.5 V N-E: 14.5 V

As mentioned in this procedure, theoretically voltage difference between neutral and earth will be zero and considered as proper earthing, but practically it will be 2 to 4 AC volts. Whereas, in my case, I'm getting around 14.5VAC which is significantly high. Hence, I may be getting shock in my home appliances.

Please help me in identifying and rectifying the issue!!

migrated from electronics.stackexchange.com May 31 at 1:52

This question came from our site for electronics and electrical engineering professionals, students, and enthusiasts.

  • 2
    this makes absolutely no sense without an explanation .... I'm getting a shock when I touch walls ......... your post contains almost no information .... there is no way to determine if there is an actual issue – jsotola May 30 at 22:56
  • 3
    Is the shock a brief "snap" (static electricity) or a continuous "buzz" (mains leakage)? – Dave Tweed May 30 at 23:00
  • 1
    Hi Dave,Its a continuous buzz – user146933 May 30 at 23:40
  • 1
    I think this should be taken off hold. Essentially his question is "What are some potential reasons my neutral to earth voltage is so high?" Maybe more relevant for the home improvement stack exchange, but a decent question none the less. – Drew May 31 at 1:25
  • 1
    Can you get a non-contact voltage detector to bear on this? That N-G difference shouldn't be sufficient to cause a serious shock.... – ThreePhaseEel May 31 at 2:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy