I have a faucet which requires installation of a separate threaded 'shank' or nipple which acts as both the water supply inlet and also is used to anchor the faucet to the sink deck. These are supplied as separate parts to allow for varying thickness of countertops.

(Shown in the photo below - one male end of the shank goes into the faucet body, the other end protrudes through the sink and is fastened tight with the nut & washer).

These shanks have a 1/2" IPS straight thread. They are not NPT tapered. So I was expecting to use a rubber O-ring or washer when screwing them into the faucet. However there is no 'seat' or other surface in the faucet where such a part could go. It would literally just get lost inside the body of the faucet (before the valve).

I had thought the golden rule was that tapered threads require sealant (or tape) and straight threads require a washer/o-ring. But this faucet seems to allow for neither. The instructions with the faucet don't say.

I attempted to take apart some other old faucets to see how this was done, but the shanks were impossible to unscrew.

So - how can I seal these parts?

(Note - the faucet happens to be a Whitehaus WHFS9813-12-C.)

enter image description here


I use a product called "LeakLock" it comes in a tube and is a blue paste, like teflon paste only much better, this stuff seals everything from refrigerants to water to gas, any pressures, available online or at appliance parts stores and HVAC parts houses, like Jonstone supply, Standard Appliance Ebay and Amazon sell it too.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.