I hope you can answer my question.
I recently replaced the circuit breaker because it would not reset the power to the outlets thinking it was the problem. I tested with a volt meter and it reads 110 V at the circuit breaker. I got no power to the outlets (all were checked with a volt meter) or the wiring on the back. I went out of town for 2 days and left the breaker in the off position for safety reasons. I returned last night and turned the breaker back on so that I could trouble shot it some more, and the lights came on. Also, we did a load of laundry as the washer machine is also on the same circuit. Don't ask me why, it is a 100 year home with an updated (15 years ago) panel and wiring. My wife this morning put the hair dryer into the new outlet (used the screws and not the plug in the back) and it tripped the breaker again. That was the only thing on the circuit. And she used the hair dryer in out middle bathroom with no troubles. The outlet that my wife used this morning that threw the breaker is the first in the daisy chain of outlets and switches.
I have checked all of the GFCI outlets and they are all good.
I am thinking it is a short in the wire between the first outlet and the breaker box.
Any other thoughts? I appreciate any help!