So I replaced the weather stripping on all of my very old windows yesterday. The windows are sash windows. In the process I unfortunately broke two of the spring-loaded things that hold the top part of the window securely into the frame's guides. Here are some photos of both one I didn't break, and the individual disassembled parts:

Part I Didn't Break


So, my questions are:

  1. What is this called?
  2. Where can I get replacements?

Thank you!

  • Tilt window latch maybe . What brand are the windows ? – Kris May 26 '19 at 14:45
  • @Kris unfortunately I am not sure. They are OLD aluminium windows and frames. Could be as old as 1951. – Haney May 26 '19 at 14:52
  • 2
    swisco.com/…. Try uploading a photo to this company. – Kris May 26 '19 at 15:17
  • 2
    Those aren’t very old windows. Old windows are made of wood. Very old windows, I don't know, stone or something... – Harper - Reinstate Monica May 26 '19 at 17:15
  • 1
    Kris make sure to elaborate on the link, link only answers are frowned on because the link may be expire. – Ed Beal May 29 '19 at 18:42

It is a tilt window latch. Use this hardware replacement company There you can upload a photo of the part you need they may be able to identify it. (I have no affiliation with Swisco.com).

  • 1
    Thank you, Swisco was able to solve it for me! The part had been discontinued so I had to order a more modern part and retrofit it (drill through the window frame for new screwholes). – Haney May 29 '19 at 20:40

Go to allaboutdoors.com. Guid, or cam sash top, seasonally/white, May be part in white only. Only 3 bucks, buy two or more that price. If not part, tons more to look at. PART# 538009

  • The way the parts were going through it seem to be in the later 70s or the eariy 80s time frame . – user101687 May 28 '19 at 21:35
  • I don't understand the punctuation in this – UuDdLrLrSs May 28 '19 at 22:24
  • Look up. allaboutdoors,com Has part . – user101687 May 28 '19 at 22:46

I have Jeld-Wen windows with a similar mechanism. You slide each (one on each side) towards the center of the window, which then allows you to tilt the window into the house for cleaning. I've seen it called the Tilt Latch, but your brand may be different.

As far as the brand- your windows don't look too old. Look in the corners of the glass for an etched brand name and serial number. It can be quite hard to see, so try it with different lighting conditions if at first you don't see it. Mine are in the top left corner of the upper sash.

  • Is the house located in New England? All aluminium ? Does not look to be that old 70 to 80 I give it.Does sash have center sash lock also..Could be a jasco window they did lots of aluminium sliders and windows or a Harvey window Area may help to narrow down brand. – user101687 May 28 '19 at 21:06
  • Could not find anything etched, but tried. You definitely got the "tilt latch" correct! – Haney May 29 '19 at 18:32

I'd guess Keller Windows Tilt Latch. This part mounts on top of the window to keep it in its track, but allows you to retract it to pivot the windows.

Looks extremely similar to part 26-088P on swissco.com https://www.swisco.com/Keller-Pair/pd/Surface-Mounted-Latches-For-Tilt-Windows/26-088P

As others have said, you can upload a photo to them and confirm it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.