enter image description here

There is cracking in both the entry way and one bedroom of the house with this sand like substance underneath. I have had no luck looking up why this could be happening and any suggestions for how to fix the cracking. Does anyone else have this issue or know what the root of the problem is or what this sand like substance inside the wall is? I have taken a spackling tool and it falls right off and the Sheetrock is fine.

Thanks in advance!

  • Is it under the paint but on top of the sheetrock? Could it be poorly mixed sand texturing? – Pete May 22 '19 at 19:12
  • It’s under the paint but on top of the sheet rock that is correct. I am not sure what’s causing it. No one has touched the walls / painted in many many years – Jack May 22 '19 at 19:21
  • Termites most likely. remove a section of sheet rock and inspect for damage to wood framing – Kris May 22 '19 at 22:16
  • Termites will eat the paper (cellulose) leaving the paint film and the gypsum alone. The sandy gunk is their waste. – Kris May 22 '19 at 22:29
  • Kris- any suggestions for how to deal with that once we know it’s termites / how to repair – Jack May 22 '19 at 23:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.