I'm finishing my home basement, and I made the mistake of installing the drywall before deciding to level the concrete floor.
So I'm trying to determine whether or not I really need to protect the drywall from the new cement as it dries. The internet is giving me mixed answers. Anyone know? (I'll be using Henry 555.)
Yes, protect the drywall!
Nah, don't worry about it!
- www.theartofdoingstuff.com (implied)
- This installation video from the Henry company (implied)
- Polmaster Construction & Tile Ltd. (implied)
Kind of ambiguous:
- Home RenoVision DIY
- In an email with Henry customer support, they said that have "no official recommendation" on the topic. I couldn't decide if that was code for "Yeah it works but don't quote me because we don't want the liability."
- In most places the drywall is two sheets of 5/8" type X, with Green Glue in between the sheets, so I'm strongly against removing it prior to pouring the self-leveling cement.
- I'm not worried about the possibility of the cement passing underneath the drywall and ending up in some other room. That wouldn't be a problem for this particular project.