I assumed the manufacturers of the fencing would sell an optional sleeve to protect the power-coating on the posts from the repeated scraping of the trimmer cord, but they do not? Does anyone have any ideas? Is this even needed? enter image description here


2 Answers 2


Get a piece of approprietly sized PVC pipe or corragated plastic drain pipe.For a 4 inch post use pipe with at least a 4 inch inside diameter Cut it into 6-9 inchs long pieces. Slice the pieces so you have 1/2 of a piece of pipe. Bury the pipe about 3-6 inches into the ground so it covers the base of the post. Fill the space between the pipe and the post with crushed stone.

  • sorry, I should have mentioned that the fence posts are square. I wondered about this. Do they make square extruded PVC pipe?
    – Evil Elf
    Aug 22, 2012 at 12:59
  • It doesn't matter. You will have a small space from the curve in the pipe that you can fill in with crushed stone so that water won't collect in it.
    – mikes
    Aug 22, 2012 at 23:50

I found these. I don't know how I found them or why I couldn't find them before.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.