I am trying to identify a mystery wall receptacle that I have in my house (built in the 60s, USA). I have one in the living room next to a fireplace, another in a bedroom. It looks somewhat like the C8 socket, but is more rectangular and rough-looking.

Does anybody know what this is?

EDIT: added opened picture

Mystery wall connector

Opened plate

  • an early phone socket? or for a speaker? – Solar Mike May 12 '19 at 18:30
  • 3
    A duplicate of this question, I believe: diy.stackexchange.com/questions/29430/… – jwh20 May 12 '19 at 18:48
  • 3
    As the flat wire is now exposed it is a tv antennae connection and this is a duplicate of the other question – Kris May 12 '19 at 18:52
  • 2
    Thanks everyone, I think this is indeed the same socket as the other question. – Daniel S. May 12 '19 at 18:54

Thanks for providing the "opened" picture, which clearly reveals that this is 300 ohm TV (and/or FM radio) antenna twinlead.

Not quite as obsolete as a buggywhip, but pretty close.

  • +1 for "twinlead". That was indeed the type of antenna lead wires. – Michael Karas May 12 '19 at 20:22
  • Are HD antennas not roof mounted, and signal over this wire? – JTP - Apologise to Monica May 13 '19 at 1:57
  • 2
    The original TV antennas this stuff was common for still work with HDTV if you have them (you don't actually need a "HDTV Antenna"), but most modern antennas use a 75 ohm coaxial feed rather than twinlead. It's shielded by design, which reduces interference pickup. It's also a LOT easier to find hardware for, these days. – Ecnerwal May 13 '19 at 2:07

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.