Rusty pipe alert:

enter image description here

I sheared off one of two bolts taking an inspection plate off a 40 year old cast iron drainpipe. It is M8 an about 15mm long. I'm supposed to get something that's with 0.15 on a Galvanic corrosion scale, right? You can't get cast iron bolts, so that means wrought aluminum or wrought alloys I think. Amazon has things that are titanium alloy, but I think that would share the Galvanic corrosion of titanium rather than the alu/alloy I need, and therefore be too far away from that of cast iron. Does it really matter for a 40 year old drainpipe?

Oh and the drain pipe wasn't blocked. The snake think I had went straight up easily enough. I need a different one to go down, as there's a right angle involved.

  • 1
    I’d get stainless steel and use anti seize grease on threads – Kris May 9 '19 at 16:46
  • Thanks Kris - I'll do that. – MrShearedBolt May 10 '19 at 20:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.