I've cleaned to make space for organizing the spot and adding shelves and I have still not felt the space is bigger than it is.
Ways to make a room feel big (not a complete list):
- Cover one wall with mirrors - this may be extreme but it is effective. Even framed mirrors make a room feel larger.
- Increase the amount of light in the room
- Paint your walls a light color
- Reduce the amount of furniture/stuff in the room
- On wood or tile floors use an area rug that is smaller than normal
- Pull the furniture away from the wall
- Leave your windows uncovered
Hopefully one or more of these suggestions will help.
- Paint your walls and floor with light colors- this will give you the illusion of a bigger space.
- Maximize your space by using hidden storage- By doing this, there will be less clutter in your room. Clutter actually makes space look small (and unorganized).
- Install shelves close to the ceiling- to draw the eye upward.
- Vertical shelves and storage- Take advantage of your vertical space. Horizontal shelves make your space look tight and crowded.
- Small items in your room make it look crowded, get decorations that are big to give an illusion of a bigger space.
- Uncover your windows to give a room depth.
- Glass or acrylic materials make your space bigger.
- Pieces of furniture with legs give it a spacious illusion.
- Match colors with different shades for coordination.