The technician installing our washing machine said that the water pressure in the pipe to which our washing machine is connected is too high, and that it will break if we use it this way. The manual says that it should be between 100 and 1000 kPa and that if it's higher we should have a valve installed. I have contacted the apartment building management company, so it is theoretically possible that they will do something within the next six to eight weeks, but they probably won't tell me when they have. How can I tell if/that the water pressure is too high (and thus, later tell when it no longer is)?

I have tried to take a photo of water flowing into an empty washing compartment, but it's difficult: Water

  • 2
    A Photo of the water can not tell us anything. How did the technician know that the water pressure is "to high" ? What technician?
    – Alaska Man
    May 3, 2019 at 18:02
  • 1
    Note that water pressure that high isn't good for the rest of your plumbing system either. Residential pipes are only designed to withstand a certain water pressure. May 3, 2019 at 18:08
  • 1
    That pressure range seems very high. That could be correct, but I would double check that. Also and incoming water pressure of over 1000kPa (145 PSI) is extremely high based on what I'm used to seeing.
    – JPhi1618
    May 3, 2019 at 18:09
  • @JPhi1618 we have 9 bar regulated down to 3.5bar - good showers though... A good jet is always better than a dribble..
    – Solar Mike
    May 3, 2019 at 18:14
  • @SolarMike if that step down is common, I guess it's possible that a regulator has failed in this apartment? Anything with an electric valve (dishwasher, ice maker) would have issues with that pressure right? Or is 9-10 bar more common than I think?
    – JPhi1618
    May 3, 2019 at 18:16

1 Answer 1


Water pressure gauges that connect to garden hose fittings are common at home stores in the US. I assume you are from elsewhere because of the units you used for pressure, but, for instance, at Home Depot the gauges are found in the lawn sprinkler area because water pressure is an important consideration for the design of a sprinkler system.

enter image description here

You may have to look around at stores that sell irrigation or general plumbing supplies to find one. For an online search "water hose pressure gauge" should give plenty of results. Of course I'm also assuming that your washing machine uses the same fittings as a garden hose, so make sure you get the right connector (again, standard in the US).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.