I'm wanting to mount an 18Kg TV using a universal mount with 6 holes. The positions of the studs are not quite right for where we want the TV to go.

This part of the wall has been built recently to block up an alcove and has 18mm plywood attached to the studs and the plasterboard is attached to the plywood.

What fittings should I use to mount this with? I'm assuming wooden screws would not work since there would only be 18mm of plywood behind.

My first thought was to use a hollow wall anchor like:

hollow anchor

But the 36mm depth of plywood+plasterboard means I've not been able to find an anchor long enough.

What are my options?


1 Answer 1


18mm (3/4") plywood is certainly adequate using proper screws. #14 (7mm or so) wood-thread screws with a proper pilot would hold just fine. Otherwise just use togglers.

enter image description here

  • Surely the #14 screws would need to be longer than 7mm since we have 18mm or plasterboard and then 18mm of ply?
    – Fraser
    May 3, 2019 at 14:54
  • Both dimensions were referring to nominal diameter, not length. Since most DIYSE users are in the U.S. I provided both.
    – isherwood
    May 3, 2019 at 15:04
  • Ah ok, what length would you recommend?
    – Fraser
    May 3, 2019 at 15:05
  • Whatever is necessary. You don't need me to tell you that. :)
    – isherwood
    May 3, 2019 at 15:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.