I have a screw that is 1 1/2" long, and it has two different threads around it. It's a button head, made for a Phillips-head screwdriver.

What do you call this kind of screw and its threading so I can search to find more of this kind of screw?

enter image description here

  • Hello, and welcome to Home Improvement. Interesting question; let's see if you get a good answer. Apr 27, 2019 at 19:18
  • Is it double helical, or simply machined so that every other rotation is smaller? Apr 27, 2019 at 20:26

1 Answer 1


That type of threading is called hi-lo, or sometimes high-low.

From MutualScrew.com:

High-low screws -- or hi lo screws, as they are often called -- have double-lead threads (where two grooves have been cut around the shaft). This kind of screw includes a high thread and a low thread. The unique qualities of hi-lo thread specifications help minimize the amount of material displaced as the screw is driven into the material, while also serving to create a stronger grip than would otherwise be possible.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.