Sorry about my ignorance here but I don't know what to call this stuff. I have a few wood (Pretty sure it's wood) boards that have falling off the side of the area that supports my deck. Questions:

  1. What are these boards called?
  2. Is it possible to order it anywhere so I can replace it?

enter image description here enter image description here

We also have some fascia(?) or molding that has come off (looks like the previous owner installed the gutters poorly. So not sure I can get this fascia board at the same place? THANKS!

enter image description here

  • 4
    could be Hardieplank
    – Jasen
    Apr 25, 2019 at 23:11
  • @Jasen I am almost positive you are right on the siding. Trim by roof and gutter likely original wood.
    – Kris
    Apr 26, 2019 at 0:48

1 Answer 1


Generically, that's called "Ship Lap" siding. What it is made of is another aspect; it could be wood such as cedar or redwood, it could be pressboard, it could be vinyl or even aluminum made to look like wood. You should be able to tell if it's vinyl or metal by tapping on it. If it's pressboard, you would be able, if you look long enough, to see repeating grain patterns, something that never happens with real wood.

That fascia / molding and the roof joint needs some professional attention in my opinion. That's a tough spot for a typical DYI project and getting it wrong can leave you with some serious water damage.

  • Just "lap siding". Shiplap has a rabbet on the edges so every board lays flat rather than sitting at a slight angle like the pictured lap siding.
    – JPhi1618
    Apr 26, 2019 at 14:53
  • You guys are the best. The previous owner(s?) have been known to frequent the local Home Depot and get absolutely everything there. I think there's a very good chance this is the one: homedepot.com/p/…
    – Joe
    Apr 26, 2019 at 22:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.