I'm replacing my electric car charging station with a newer version. The current one is fed from behind by flex conduit which is held in place with a metal ring. The ring is featureless and smooth (see photos) so I don't think it twists off. I tried gripping it with pliers and twisting anyway but all that happened was that the conduit turned.

Any idea how I can remove this ring to release the conduit?

Edit: This is in California USA.

wider viewView inside

  • The other side of the gray panel can you access it?
    – Kris
    Apr 24, 2019 at 22:18
  • Not without dismounting the whole unit, it is screwed to the wall. I’d rather not do that until I’m ready to install the new unit.
    – DoxyLover
    Apr 24, 2019 at 22:25
  • Also, just to clarify, the ring does not seem to be attached to the grey (plastic) panel, it’s just attached to the conduit, preventing it from passing back through the hole in the panel.
    – DoxyLover
    Apr 24, 2019 at 22:29
  • That is one very precisely drilled hole.
    – Mazura
    Apr 25, 2019 at 0:03
  • It’s possible the old charger came with the flexible wiring whip preinstalled. You might be trying to remove something factory crimped into place.
    – Tyson
    Apr 25, 2019 at 1:01

2 Answers 2


It's threaded into the flex conduit. it has ridges on the side of the fitting that match the pitch of the spiral of the flex.

In reality they are not really using that correctly, they are rigging it up using parts that are intended for a different use. Here is the actual assembly that it is part of (the photo is of a stainless steel version, but it's the same concept):

enter image description here

The part you are looking at on yours is only the chase sleeve, shown in this photo to the left of the blue ring. It is INTENDED to go into a fitting that is sealing against the seal-tite flex. They are using only that sleeve and using it kind of backward.

  • It'll unscrew with some channel locks np, assuming you can get a handle on the actual conduit to keep it from turning.
    – Mazura
    Apr 25, 2019 at 0:05
  • I’ll see if I can pull it out enough to get a grip with vice grips. Thanks
    – DoxyLover
    Apr 25, 2019 at 1:49
  • 1
    No, I did mean the part to the LEFT of the blue ring. As I said it appears they used it in a way it is not intended for. We call that a "hack".
    – JRaef
    Apr 25, 2019 at 20:20
  • Turns out you are absolutely correct, it was the part to the left of the blue ring. When I got it out (took some penitrating oil to get it loose) and bought the new full set as you showed, I realized that was indeed it. I’m installed the full water-tight connector in its place.
    – DoxyLover
    Apr 26, 2019 at 21:49

enter image description here

Yours appears to be snapped in from the other side of panel like this style

  • 1
    I don’t think so. Mine doesn’t have the prongs on the side, unless what I’m seeing is a cover over the prongs.
    – DoxyLover
    Apr 25, 2019 at 14:35
  • No. Kris means the prongs are on the side you can't see. It's not this type of fitting literally; he's just showing the prongs as a point of illustration. This is a whip which is installed from this side, the whole whip is threaded through the hole and then snap. Apr 25, 2019 at 15:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.