So I am replacing my bedroom ceiling fan. I messed up and forgot to take a picture of the wiring. I know I screwed up, but now it is a learning opportunity. I am sure that electrical standards vary place to place I am in the United States specifically Michigan. Below is all the information I have.
The Ceiling Box:
So I have two sets of wires coming into the ceiling box. I tested them with a voltage tester. I also tested them flipping the switches. That had no effect. Not sure if that is normal or not.
One set has
- Black - HOT
The other has
There are two separate light switches (they are not side-by-side as you'd expect, but are top and bottom and are about six inches or so apart. The top switch controls the fan and the bottom switch controls the lights.
The top has a set of wires coming into the switch box on the top and bottom:
Top of box:
- White --- Hooked to White on bottom AND to top of switch
- Black --- Hooked to bottom of switch.
- Red --- Hooked to Black on bottom
- Copper --- Hooked to Copper from bottom
Bottom of box:
- White --- Hooked to White on top AND to top of switch
- Black --- Hooked to Red from top
- Copper --- Hooked to Copper from top
The bottom switch has a set of wires coming in from the top that are:
Top of box:
- White --- Wired to bottom of switch
- Black --- Wired to top of switch
- Copper --- Just in the box
The new fan has four wires and I know that the blue is the light:
- White ---
- Black ---
- Blue ---
- Green --- Copper Ground Wire
The question is what wires from the ceiling box are hooked to what wires on the ceiling fan?