I'm about to add butt connectors to the plan for wiring my power circuit. How can I prove, with documentation, that these are safe and up to code? My location is Ontario, Canada. My application is small renewable energy (wind).

I searched all through the Canadian Electrical Code and there is not one instance where 'Butt connectors' are mentioned.

Thanks for your help

  • Usually the datasheet for the butt splice would have that information. Could always use J - Hooks, good enough for NASA, good enough for me! – Stiddily Apr 12 '19 at 18:01
  • @Stiddily What if the product is from Amazon and doesn't contain a datasheet? In that case, would you say it's probably not good enough? – user211492 Apr 12 '19 at 18:16
  • Not an electrician, but generically these are "crimp connectors" (at least I assume those are the type you're referring to, not the spring types) and I would expect something related in the code, and the connectors would have to be safety-agency listed types in addition. – Spehro Pefhany Apr 12 '19 at 18:18
  • 2
    the problem is you are being cagey. You are trying to get away with something, and you don't want to tell us what it is, because you think you will get shot down if you do. This is worse than an XY problem, because you won't even tell us the X. Read the XY Problem link then tell us the origin problem you are trying to solve. We will tell you the best way to solve it.. Or else I will VTC. – Harper - Reinstate Monica Apr 12 '19 at 19:02
  • 1
    In all fairness, I do see where this question was posted on electronics.se, where the rules are different, , but we need to know more about what you are doing. – Harper - Reinstate Monica Apr 12 '19 at 23:20

You need to use connectors(and, in general, parts) approved by Canadian Standards Association(CSA) or Underwriters Labs(UL). Parts from reputable suppliers(including better brands sold on amazon/ ebay if not counterfeit) will usually bear at least one of those two markings stamped onto the metal or in permanent marking by other means. If you have the right qualifications it is also legal to literally prove that the product is safe (check material, calculate ampacity/ test insulation). I don't know if it's legal for a non-professional to do this.

You could also hire someone to test them and sign off on them, but it would be much cheaper to just buy some that you are sure are decent. You can buy legal for use plugs, switches, connectors, etc. at dollar stores, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's wise to use them. I've pulled out dollar store receptacles with a plastic mounting strap (the tabs you run screws through to mount the receptacle) and made from not-light-resistant brittle plastics. I doubt anyone ever got in trouble for using one, but what an unnecessary risk to take to save $0.30.

| improve this answer | |

I believe your laws are similar to the US. As long as the product is listed for the purpose you want to use them they would be legal. I have both Thomas&Betts and 3M brands and both labels show them to be UL listed 105 deg C , 600v building wire, or 1000v sign lighting luminary. This is all the proof I need. I don't use the "imported" super cheap products because they don't come with listing information if I can't prove there listed I can't use them. But since they are a splice they require a box or control panel to enclose them that is accessible.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.