0

The over-the-range microwave in my kitchen (GE, 1500W) has completely lost power. The power loss was intermittent for a day, but then at some point it never came back. I have checked all fuses that I can find: 3 thermal fuses, and 2 regular fuses (see attached picture). All of those fuses, except one, are closed (have continuity). It seems the one fuse that's open (one of the two fuses at the bottom right) is supposed to be open until the unit overheats as it apparently controls the fan. I see the presence of an open thermal fuse in the wiring diagram of the unit, and the temperatures quoted in the wiring diagram matches the numbers written on the back of the open fuse I found, but could I still be wrong about the open fuse? What else should I check to figure out what's wrong here? The microwave with the locations of fuses I have checked

  • 1
    Have you checked the supply from the wall / service panel? – Harper - Reinstate Monica Apr 7 at 22:33
  • Yes, both good. – Fijoy Vadakkumpadan Apr 7 at 22:36
  • 1
    Wiggle the wires -- one could be broken, likely near a wire-nut or at a sharp bend. – DrMoishe Pippik Apr 8 at 2:50
  • @DrMoishePippik Wiggling the wires worked. Thanks! – Fijoy Vadakkumpadan Apr 9 at 18:55
  • Glad it helped: the fact that the issue was intermittent pointed to the bad connection. – DrMoishe Pippik Apr 9 at 23:21
0

I think you’ve done your due diligence here. I’d check the power source carefully, and if it’s good, I’d replace the microwave. On mine, there’s actually a standard 120 Volt outlet on top of the oven, under the microwave.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.