This is our townhouse (5 house) service entrance. We only put plastic sheet above to partially cover it from rain, but when it is strong, the breakers got wet (this being going on for the past 20 years). Any idea what kind of glass or cover to put inside to prevent rain from wetting it (raining season coming in 2 months). We can't replace the panels because it would require so much city hall paperworks (even replacing a breaker needs city hall permit) and the neighbors won't cooperate putting up money for the repair or any power interruption.

enter image description here

  • What country is this? – Tyson Apr 6 '19 at 23:43
  • Philippines. (15 characters minimum) – Jtl Apr 6 '19 at 23:48

See the gutter above the meters? Yeah? The thing below the meters where the breakers are, used to be a gutter just like that. It has completely rotted out.

Your best bet here is to fully enclose this area in a "shed" with a roof that will shed rain, solid sides, and doors that latch and seal. You can put this together out of plywood, prime, paint and caulk it. The weird cage around it - just like that, but with solid wood.

  • 1
    Another variant might be to use the existing cage as a frame, to support some exterior-rated plywood, or plastic panels. Sealing the "doors" might be the biggest challenge, along with getting a watertight flashing between the "roof" part and the building's wall. – Criggie Apr 7 '19 at 9:55
  • 1
    There is a meter cover made specifically for that. – Harper - Reinstate Monica Apr 7 '19 at 15:13
  • 1
    The power company will lend you one for free when they pull the meter. If you need to get one on the sly, not sure. It's not exactly a big-box store item. – Harper - Reinstate Monica Apr 7 '19 at 22:49
  • 1
    I don't mean cover the breakers. I mean cover the whole cabinet. Replace that goofy cage thing with a wooden shed style thing maybe 1.3m wide by 2.5m tall and maybe 400mm deep , whatever is needed. – Harper - Reinstate Monica Apr 8 '19 at 4:27
  • 1
    I don't mean entomb it. I mean make it with a big door on the front that opens, like a wardrobe or something. With a latch so it stays shut and doesn't get rained on. – Harper - Reinstate Monica Apr 8 '19 at 4:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for?Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.