I'm trying to take apart an old bed frame. The fasteners are square head bolts, but they're tucked away with only 1/2" of clearance to access them.

I can't find square head bits shorter than an inch, so I've got no idea how it was put together in the first place.

Is there such a tool out there?

enter image description here

enter image description here


1 Answer 1


I can barely make it out, but it looks like a pin-and-slot arrangement. Bump the rail with your palm away from the camera. The bracket that's retained by the screw should slide off the pin we see deeper in. If it doesn't budge, use a mallet or a hammer and block of wood.

  • Agreed, no one is expected to turn that screw to disassemble it. Even with an array of ideal, custom tools, you could only back it out about 10mm before no tool would fit! And the screw will be longer than that. Commented Apr 3, 2019 at 21:46
  • If by some means that square-drive fastener has been loosened a little already, it may be necessary to re-tighten it before the pin will be able to slide past.
    – Greg Hill
    Commented Apr 3, 2019 at 21:49
  • Good eye, I was trying to figure out just what I was looking at. I knew unscrewing it wasn't the answer.
    – Joe Fala
    Commented Apr 4, 2019 at 2:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.