In a planned kitchen remodel, one upgrade is to install an outside vented range hood. My choices are to vent vertically up through the roof or up and then horizontally (8') out the kitchen wall. The vertical option is considerably more difficult and costly. Are there drawbacks to the horizontal option?

The vertical option is not simple as it will need to go through a second floor and an attic in a 1934 house. Provided that building codes don't force that option, I'm hoping for the horizontal option as long as there are no serious drawbacks.

  • 1
    Your neighbors might get mad if you cook something stinky, and blow it in their window.
    – Tester101
    Sep 3, 2010 at 20:18
  • @Tester101 - Not an issue for the location.
    – wdypdx22
    Sep 3, 2010 at 22:30

2 Answers 2


It shouldn't be a problem to vent the range hood out the wall, just make sure you check your local codes before doing so. I wouldn't think this would be a problem, but there could be different laws in densely populated areas as apposed to rural regions. And laws/codes can vary depending on your locale.

Make sure you install the vent properly, and include a back flow prevention device (unless you like cold/warm air coming in from outside).

  • Ah, back flow prevention! I'll be checking the building codes once I'm further along in the process. At the moment I'm in initial stages and pencilling in costs of various scenarios. Mainly I have a little concern for needing to clean the duct. But, it's not going to have dense clouds of anything flowing through it with any frequency... Thanks.
    – wdypdx22
    Sep 3, 2010 at 22:35

In Massachusetts, the building code says that range hoods “shall discharge to the outdoors through a single-wall duct” (780 CMR 6502.1). I am not sure what that means.

  • 3
    That's too bad, I always wanted a stove with dual exhaust.
    – Tester101
    Sep 3, 2010 at 20:15
  • it means the duct can pass through a single wall only.
    – longneck
    Sep 3, 2010 at 21:09
  • @longneck: Does that preclude running the duct up into and attic and then through the roof or an exterior wall? That would be consistent with the lack of duct length restriction in the code—but ridiculous, as it's not uncommon to have the range on an internal wall or in a kitchen island… Sep 3, 2010 at 21:13
  • 2
    Single wall ducting is simply a piece of tin (sheet metal) bent into shape (round, rectangle, etc). Not like a gas applicance B-vent which has double walls for heat resistance, etc.
    – kkeilman
    Sep 7, 2010 at 23:02
  • 1
    Single wall duct is a duct with a single layer, or wall, of material, as opposed to a double wall (duct within a duct)
    – user54896
    Jun 6, 2016 at 16:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.